Type the following questions into a Google Document. Answer the questions about the computer on which you are working. For each question, you must include a screenshot where specified. Follow these instructions on How to Place a Screen Shot into a Google Document.
Please answer all questions in your own words to demonstrate your understanding of the material. Copying and pasting from the course reading or from articles on the Internet is considered plagiarism and will receive a grade of zero.
Windows. You may want to use the Belarc Advisor program - a program that tells you many things about your computer. It is installed in the Utilities menu on all machines in the Tyler Lab. It is also available for free download here. You may also find information about your computer by going into the control panel and looking at the "System" information.
Macintosh. You will want to use the System Profiler described here. You will also find information about your Mac by clicking the Apple in the top left and selecting "About This Mac".
Part 1: Operating System Questions
- Operating System.
- What is an operating system and how does it work?
- What are the top three operating systems for today's computers?
- What operating sytem (and version) is installed on your machine? (e.g. OS=Windows, Version=Windows 7; OS=Mac Version=Mountain Lion)
- Provide a screenshot showing where you found the operating system information for your machine.
- What is the CPU and how does it work?
- What CPU is installed in your machine? (e.g. Pentium 4) Note: The CPU is called a Processor on a Mac.
- What is the clockspeed of the CPU installed in your machine? (e.g. 2.80 GHz)
- Provide a screenshot showing where you found the CPU and clockspeed.
- What is RAM and how does it work?
- How much RAM (memory) is installed in your machine? (e.g. 256 MB RAM) Note: The RAM is called "Memory" on a Mac.
- Provide a screenshot showing where you found the amount of memory.
- Hard disk.
- What is a hard disk and how does it work?
- What is the size of the hard disk on your machine and how much space is free? (e.g. 26.0 GB Hard Disk, 10.8 GB free)
- You have a 168 MB video. How many copies of that video could you save on your hard drive? (ex. If you had 504 MB of free space, you could save 3 copies of the video on your hard drive). Show your calculations for full credit.
- Provide a screenshot showing where you found the size of the hard disk and the amount of free space.
- Virtual Memory.
- What is virtual memory and how does it work?
- What would happen if there was no virtual memory on your computer?
- What is the size of virtual memory on your machine? (e.g. 468 MB) Note: Virtual Memory on a Mac is listed as "VM Size". It can be found in Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor (in the "System Memory" tab).
- Provide a screenshot showing where you found the size of virtual memory.
- What is "the cloud"?
- What are five available cloud applications or programs? (Example: Google Docs)
- Name two ways the cloud is similar to operating systems.
- Name two ways the cloud is different from operating systems.
- No screenshot required for this question.
Part 2: Getting to Know Your Operating System
Take a screenshot showing where you would do the following:
- Change your desktop background picture?
- Add a printer?
- Find the options to change your firewall preferences?
- View/change the programs that are installed on your computer?
- Empty the recycle bin/trash (the one where your files go after you delete them)?
What to Hand In
All questions, answers, and screen shots should be included in a single Google Document. Save the document as lastname_os.pdf (File >> Download as >> PDF - where lastname should be your lastname).
Submit the lastname_os.pdf file using Sakai's assignment upload mechanism.